Monday, November 10, 2014

Happy Birthday to Me! Meet my new Cricut Explore!

I celebrated my 24th birthday a few weeks ago, and it totally slipped my mind that I should show off my new crafting tool!

My fiance bought me a Cricut Explore, so I can enter a whole new world of crafting. I had been eyeballing it for a while, so intrigued by what it can do. I was so happy when I opened it!

Let me tell you though.. it is intimidating. I thought I'd be all over this thing, cutting out little craft pieces right away. I haven't been able to properly cut anything yet.

The set up for this machine requires connecting to the computer, cutting some samples and making sure everything lines up correctly. Well, it said it couldn't connect to my laptop, then it wouldn't cut on the right lines, now I can't figure out how to cut my own image.

I started watching some YouTube videos on how to use this beast. I have a lot of learning to do!

The first thing I wanted to make with the Cricut is a homemade Christmas present for my mom. Awe. I'm going to cut out the state outlines for Arkansas, Texas, Florida and Michigan, and stick them each to a coffee mug. Then I'm going to paint a dashed line, connecting each of the states from one cup to the next. It's a way of connecting all of her kids in a way... my mom lives in Arkansas, one sister in Texas, my grandmother in Florida, and the rest of us in Michigan. I thought it was a cute idea.

If I can figure out how to cut my vinyl, I'll show a picture of the cups next week! :)

1 comment: