Sunday, November 2, 2014

Halloween Rice Krispy Treats Recipe

For my Halloween party, I decided to treat my guests to a childhood favorite. I bought a box of individually wrapped Rice Krispy Treats, and dipped them in chocolate. People love these, and it didn't take me forever to make the batch from scratch and cut perfect shapes. It's a huge time saver if you want the rectangle shape... for other shapes, I buy a huge block of the krispy treats from a cake shop or Target, and use a cookie cutter for my shapes (I think my next attempt will be Christmas trees!).

I started by taking all of the treats out of their packages, and putting them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. I stuck a popsicle stick into each treat, as a handle.

I like using a glass bowl and microwave instead of a double boiler. If you're using a microwave, make sure you change to half power, as to not burn the chocolate. Start with one minute in the microwave, then stir. After that, microwave for 30 seconds at a time and stir until melted all the way through. As soon as the chocolate is done, start dipping the treats into the bowl. I like dipping half way, tapping the treat on the side of the bowl, then scrap the back of the treat. I added sprinkles after each is dipped. Waiting too long will allow the chocolate to harden, then sprinkles won't stick.


I used regular and white chocolate for alternating colors. Meijer was out of stock on the orange chocolate, so I used some food coloring. They made a nice tablescape decoration, as well as a yummy treat! I took the leftovers to work, and everyone loved them. They're my favorite treat. :)

The cupcakes were from the Meijer bakery. They were good too. I usually bake my own, but it saved a lot of time buying them.

For the party favors, I found some cute coffee mugs on a swap site (like Craigslist, but a group on Facebook). I put some shredded paper stuffing into the bottom of each, added a wrapped rice kripy treat, then topped each with some Hershey kisses. Everyone loved this!


















Halloween Rice Krispy Treats


Ingredients:
Sheet or individually wrapped rice krispy treats
Popsicle sticks or decorative paper straws
Wilton's melting chocolate (I find that one bag of chocolate will cover about 10 treats)

Supplies:
Wax paper
Glass bowl (or double boiler)
Cellophane treat bags
Twist ties or ribbon
Cookie sheet

Directions:



  • Line the cookie sheet with wax paper, so the treats do not stick. 
  • Unwrap each treat and place on the wax paper. 
  • Insert a popsicle stick or paper straw through the top of the treat.
  • Once this is done, empty the melting chocolate in the glass bowl. I prefer using the microwave instead of a double broiler
  • Set the microwave at half power, and start heating the chocolate for one minute. Stir, then continue at 30 second intervals until melted all the way through. If you heat too much, it will become a chunky mess. 
  • Using the stick as a handle, dip the treat about half way into the chocolate (or fully, your preference). Tap on the side of the bowl, scraping the back side if you wish. Place on the wax paper. 
  • After dipping each treat, add sprinkles if you would like. This should be done before the chocolate begins to harden.
  • After all treats have been dipped, I like to put the cookie sheet of treats in the refrigerator to chill. 
  • When the chocolate has harden, put each treat into a plastic bag and seal with a twist tie or ribbon.



Happy Halloween!

8 comments:

  1. I missed this for Halloween but this is a cute idea for any holiday! All ages enjoy Rise Krispie Treats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of buying store bought treats -- great time saver!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does save so much time! They perfected the recipe, so why not utilize it? haha

      Delete
  3. These look incredible! Love the tablescape, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had so much fun putting it all together.. love decorating for the holidays!

      Delete
  4. Mel;

    Just I had posted on Twitter about your treats. Love your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa,

    Those look incredibly delicious! You truly have a talent.

    ~Friar

    ReplyDelete