Friday, October 24, 2014

Halloween Yard Decorations

I finally had a nice day out to decorate my tiny little garden for Halloween. We live in an apartment, but the leasing office was nice enough to let us have a garden outside our dining room window. Now that my green peppers, jalapenos and chili peppers have died off, time to switch gears!

First, I had to make the gravestones. Why buy them when they're so easy to make? Stores do have really creepy designs, but I was going more for whismy. I used some thin, cheap foam that I had leftover from a summer project. Used a sharpie for the outline, cut away and painted it all in. I could have added some dimension by carving into the stones, but the foam was way too thin for that.

I also made a sign for the garden, that I think is adorable. I had an extra piece of molding that I bought from Home Depot (used to frame my bathroom mirror). Bought some flat planks of scrap wood from Michael's, and started painting. After I nailed all the pieces together, I coated the whole sign with a few coats of mod podge. Hoping that will protect from the elements a bit. So far so good!

Voila! My Nightmare Before Christmas graveyard. I bought the plastic fence pieces from the Dollar General... added some mini pumpkins and some spider webs. Since I took the picture, I added another tall pumpkin in the corner.

The Halloween party at my place is this weekend. I hope everyone likes my decorations!

Next week's blog post will show off the rest of my decorations through out the apartment, where to buy them or how to make them!

Have a great weekend!



7 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa - I am in your #WalshSMClass and I really enjoyed reading your blog this week. Your ideas are great! I really need to start decorating for Halloween and you have a lot of great ideas here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed my blog! More Halloween ideas are on the way for the next post!

      Delete
  2. These are amazing! I will need to do this next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were so fun and easy to make.

      Delete
  3. Great ideas -- thanks for sharing!

    Have you ever checked out Tillson street in Romeo? Hundreds of people gather on this street to check out the decorated houses. It's a real attraction each year.

    This link will give you more information:

    http://www.michigan.org/blog/events/an-inside-look-at-terror-on-tillson-michigans-largest-neighborhood-funded-halloween-experience/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I used to live in Romeo, and Tillson is part of their pride and joy. The town just loves Halloween and Christmas. Romeo turns into a little Halloweentown around this time... the old houses, the falling leaves, and the creepy house on Prospect Street. This place could really be a haunted attraction!

      The best part about Tillson Street was the location to the Speedway or Dairy Queen. We parked our cars where ever we could, grabbed a hot chocolate and took a walk around the neighborhood.

      Delete
  4. Your work really is beautiful! Get yourself an Etsy account!

    ReplyDelete